Friday, February 3, 2012

LIFE AS A WRITER (last three months)

rejection rejection rejection rejection rejection rejection rejection rejection rejection rejection rejection rejection rejection submission rejection rejection rejection rejection rejection rejection rejection ACCEPTANCE rejection submission rejection submission rejection submission rejection submission submission submission submission submission submission submission rejection submission submission rejection submission submission

Maybe it's a blessing?

Recently I heard Jonathan Franzen describe reading as the 'quiet alternative'. Beautiful! I treasure the silence when you curl up with a book, in the intimate communication between writer and reader.

But I'm having doubts about this blog, and the purpose of my own writing. The constant rejection, in a world so full of tweets and blogs and self promotion has me reevaluating what it is I'm doing.

On the way to the vet this morning with my dog Basil (who cannot pee, after his prostate operation), I thought to myself, "She who tweets the loudest and most frequently, often has the least to say." I pulled up at the vet, next to a man in a white van. It was early morning. He was dropping off the ashes of deceased pets.

Inside I explained to the vet, "He hasn't peed since we brought him home on Friday." She's a compassionate but sensible woman, the one who put our dog Hannah to sleep back in August.

"And I worry about that," she told me. "What do we do with people after prostate surgery? We put the catheter in and we leave it there, until the prostate shrinks back down. So that's what I'm going to do with Basil. He will have to stay over night and then Dr Rogers can reevaluate him first thing Monday morning."

I signed the paperwork, and left with Basil's collar and lead. I drove back home, still thinking about silence. About the verses in 1 Kings " ... a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the Lord; but the Lord was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the Lord was not in the earthquake: And after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice."

I think it's time that I shut up and listen for that still small voice (in Spanish it is sometimes translated "a whisper"). I won't be able to hear it, if I clog up the airwaves with drivel!

No comments:

Post a Comment