Monday, December 30, 2013

NEW YEARS EFFIGIES - 3 YEAR TRADITION AND GOING STRONG

This evening after dinner at my sister Stephanie's apartment in San Francisco, we decided we should make our New Years Eve Effigies.  It's become a family tradition.  The idea is to make an effigy of a version of yourself that you wish to let go of for the new year.

So we sat around the dining table with jars of crayons and markers, paper, pens, cardboard and scissors.  These were the results.


This one was mine.  "You look so svelt!" said Elliot.

"That may be so," I said. "And I feel beautiful when I've had a few glasses of wine."

"I see," he said. "But you want to take her out of the glass?"

"That's right," I said.

"Oh," said young Emmett. "So you don't want to be drunk, eh.  That's nice!"

What I want in 2014, is to turn some wine into water.

This one was Emmett's. 




"I don't want to be someone like @#$%$@#@," he said.  "Because he's not a very nice person. I want to be a nice person. Instead of being a jerk."


Here is my sister Claudia and her effigy.





And my sister Stephanie's



And finally Elliot, Oliver and Max's effigies.





The point is, you don't have to explain unless you want to.  You just have to understand what the effigy means to you and be willing to let it go.


We'll burn our effigies on New Year's eve wherever we are.  So far,  we only burned Emmett's because he won't have another opportunity.


It's a good idea to make your effigy in advance of New Years Eve so that you can live with it for a day or two. I will have a few days yet to contemplate the girl in the glass. I do have a fondness for her.  We'll see how she fares in the year to come!



1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic idea. I'm going to get our little family to copy yours!

    ReplyDelete