Saturday, November 1, 2014

A PROUSTIAN QUESTIONAIRE: REPLY FROM DC

Helen

Favorite qualities in a man:
intelligence, sense of humor, sincerity, empathy and bit of quirkiness

Favorite qualities in a woman:
same as a man

What do you appreciate most in your friends:
love, loyalty and tolerance for my faults and foibles!
  
My main fault:  
I brood too much!

My favorite occupation:
Teaching, which is what I do, or being a Mentor for new teachers

My idea of happiness:
Being amongst my loved ones, preferably in some setting like a house by a lake, on a warm late summer evening,  laughing talking and watching the moon reflected in the water

My idea of misery:
Feeling alienated , misunderstood, and unloved

If not myself, who would I be: 
I'd love to be a great singer like Ella Fitzgerald or Eva Cassidy.  Singers like that, whose voices had such range and emotion, with every note so true!

Where I'd like to live:
Well, I  do like living here in DC, but I would love a getaway place, again like a house by a lake or a country cottage with a big back yard with a stream nearby and garden that had beautiful flowers!

My favorite writers: 
 Let's see, probably Jane Austen, Louisa May Alcott, Shakespeare, Yeats, Gwendolyn Brooks. I enjoy mystery books by Anne Perry.  I teach young children, and I love picture books by Lois Ehlert, Ezra Jack Keats, and Kevin Henkes.
My favorite heroes and heroines in fiction: 
 Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy. Jo March.  A character from one of my favorite books when I was a child: the Velveteen Rabbit. Two others characters from my childhood:   Lisa from the book "Corduroy" and Mary Jo, from the book What Mary Jo Shared.  These were children's picture books published when I was a little girl and Lisa and Mary Jo were little black girls, just like me-something you didn't see that much when I was growing up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment